The state of Colorado has some proposals in the works that would raise the property tax rates on short term rentals. We have been hearing rumors of this happening since late last year. It sounds like now they are working on something to make it a reality. We need both facts and opinions about the change from as many short term rental owners in Colorado as possible.
Realtors thrive on the ever inflating value of real estate, even at the cost of what was once a tight-knit community. Speculative investing and second/third/etc-homeownership has permanently transformed mountain towns all over Colorado. The real estate lobby is too strong and too money thirsty to even consider regulating this change. Sad.
Meredith Adams says
I think it’s the state government feeling left out of the short term rental profits homeowners are making. They want a piece of the pie and changing the tax rate gives them a slice. It’s up to homeowner’s through their local real estate agents to use the real estate lobby to give the opinions of homeowners to the government officials that make the decisions. If no action is taken, the government will do what they want. At least if opinions are passed along, there is a chance they will be heard.
James Albritton says
Jason & Meredith, I see this has currently been postponed, however offer feedback for future considerations. Although we are currently not a short term rental property owner, the new tax rates would cause us not to further invest in Summit County. Hotels are not the same as individual residences. They are commercial properties with corporate infrastructures. In summary;
How would higher taxes impact you:
– Would you sell your rental property? “Yes”
– How would it impact your bottom line? “Significant impact, rental rates would be non-competetive, cost prohibitive to invest in Summit County.“
– Would you long term rent your property instead? Those would not be subject to this higher tax rate. “No we would sell property and invest elsewhere. We currently long term rent our properties, already the State of Colorado has imposed a new tax on improvements, benefits of appliances installed.”
– Would you think twice about buying another short term rental property in Colorado? “Yes, would not buy in Colorado”
– Would you adjust your nightly rates? “Yes, increase rates until property sold and pull investments out of Colorado”
– Any additional information or comments about the change? “Would pull out of all current investments and relocate assets.”